Prospective Students

Getting started:

The Student Veterans Resource Center (SVRC) at Michigan State University welcomes prospective service members, veterans, and their families. Our office works collaboratively with the Office of Admissions to provide military and veteran students interested in attending MSU with the necessary information to begin the application process.

If you are planning on using GI Bill® benefits, you can find information on how to use those at Michigan State University here:

All prospective students are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions to discuss the application process and admissions criteria. For a full overview of the application processes for freshmen and transfer applicants, please click the links below. Graduate students please refer to our graduate student page for more information. There are multiple applications that are accepted, including the Common Application, the Coalition Application, and the MSU application. Currently, the Coalition Application is the only one that waives the fee for veterans.

Once prospective students apply online, the next step is to register with the new student portal. Michigan State University’s Office of Admissions will communicate with all applicants via the portal. It is important to frequently check for updates, deadlines, and any required documents needed by admissions.

Requesting Military Transcripts:

To request your military transcript, please visit the appropriate link below. All requests can be completed online. Documents will be sent directly to the university. If you have questions about military transfer credit, or credit by exam, including CLEP, please contact the SVRC.

Community College of the Air Force

Joint Services Transcript


Tuition and Fees:

The link below covers the following topics regarding tuition and fees at Michigan State University:

  • In-state and out-of-state tuition*
  • International freshman
  • Financial aid
  • Full-time/part-time enrollment qualifications
  • Cost per credit-hour

Cost and Aid at MSU

*GI Bill® users are eligible for in-state tuition, but must request it using the proper form. Additionally, veterans, active duty, Guard, reserve, and their qualifying dependents may be eligible for in-state tuition even if they are not using VA benefits.

To review in-state fee classification policies for military-connected students, please visit this website.

Transfer MSU:

Students who anticipate transferring prior academic work to MSU can review Transfer MSU for more information. The searchable site will connect you with the current database of MSU transfer credit equivalencies. Transfer equivalencies for the Joint Services Transcript will be located under Florida, and the Community College of the Air Force under Alabama.